Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Lion Rampant HYW English

Along time ago I had an English HYW Army. It consisted primarily of Minifigs, Hinchcliffe and a few others manufacturers of 25mm figures. Sadly, I sold it off, but my friend kept his French. About seven years ago, this friend and I got back together and started to game again.

It created in me a desire to re-create my HYW English but this time in plastic and 1\72 scale.

As originally conceived it was to be a double based DBA type army and that's what I did. When I first painted the army up I really did not have a conversation with my friend apart from knowing we probably would not use the old rules we used 40 years ago.

In fact, he and I started to transition to the Osprey sets of rules that resembled more of a skirmish type game than the large battles we had back in the day.

Nevertheless, I painted up the army and it sat rather dormant until recently when he and I decided to use Lion Rampant for the period.

This meant a couple of things to me.

One was remounting the figures to be suitable to the Lion Rampant format. This I accomplished by carefully slicing the DBA type stands into figure bases of 3's, 2's and a few singles per unit.

I have other Lion Rampant that feature single bases for all and it's no big deal given how fast the games tend to go. On the other hand the 3,2,1 method works just as well especially if you think you have to remount figures.

The second thing I had to do was come up with army lists. My friend delegated the task to me and for the most part we use the lists in the Lion Rampant rule book.

The author states that the lists in the book are only guides to get a person started. He expects gamers to do their own research and come up with lists that reflect some kind of historical reality.

I took that at face value and combined the list in the rule book with Field of Glory lists that some other gamer put together for use in Lion Rampant. Smart fellow imo, and I'm sorry I don't remember his name.

In any event below is what I came up with based on what I have painted, The pictures after the list will tell the story.


Lion Rampant HYW English and French


Lion Rampant Sample: LATER ENGLISH (EDWARD III ONWARDS) 

• 1 Foot Men-at-Arms* @ 6 points 

• 2 Expert Archers @ 12 points 

• 1 Expert Foot Serjeants @ 6 points


Field of Glory List HYW

  • English dismounted Men-at-Arms (Foot Men-at-Arms* @6  (1 unit)

or Expert Foot Sergeants @6) 

  • Welsh or English Longbowmen (Archers @4 or Expert @6)  (2 units)

=18 points if expert

For 24, 30, 36 point add 6, 12, 18 points from the below

A 48 point army requires one additional English MAA and one additional English Longbow (expert)


Gascon Men-at-Arms (Mounted Men-at-Arms* @6)
or English Men-at-Arms (Drilled Mounted Men-at-Arms* @7 

Note: Can be fielded dismounted as Foot Men-at-Arms @6 

Hobilars (Mounted Yeomen + Javelin @3or Foot Yeomen @3)

Gascon dismounted Men-at-Arms (Foot Men-at-Arms @6 

or Expert Foot Sergeants @6) 

Gascon crossbowmen (Crossbows @4)
Gascon bidets or Irish kerns as (Bidowers @2)
Gascon brigans (Foot Yeomen @3)
Welsh spearmen (Foot Yeomen @3)
German spearmen (Foot Serjeants + Mobile Schiltron @5) 


At present my army lacks the variety listed. I basically have the Lion Rampant basic list times two for a total of 48 points. My plan is to paint up some of other choices for variety sake and to tap down a bit of the eliteness. Enjoy the pictures below.


This is one of my dismounted men-at-arms. I believe the figures are all Zvezda from the English HYW infantry set that you cannot find anymore.

If memory serves me the archers came in the same Zvezda box that the dismounted knights and sergeants did. I remember purchasing at least 2 boxes to get the mix I needed.

This unit of  Zvezda infantry will function as "expert" sergeants. Drop the expert designation and pick up 2 points for something else!

This particular long bow unit features miniatures from the Henry V set by Strelets (8 of the figures including the one who looks a bit like Robin Hood). The other three figures are let over from the Zvezda set. One of neat things about Strelets figures is the variety in poses.

This is my second unit of dismounted men-at-arms although two are mounted. Obviously, one of the mounted figures is the big man himself. He is accompanied by his body guard! The infantry figures are Zvezda while the two mounted figures are Italeri.

My second unit of "expert"sergeants. I recognize that most are knights but I'm fine with that. They are all Zvezda figures.

This is my third set of long bows. They are a mixed bag of Italeri, Revell and even some old Airfix Sheriff of Nottingham!

This is my fourth set of longbows. They are mixed bag as well. I would have liked 12 of the Airfix Sheriff of Nottingham archers but I only had 8 and so divided them between two units.

This was a fun army to paint. I did it about 5 years ago. I hope to use it in a game of Lion Rampant soon.



No comments: