Saturday, April 1, 2023

Scruby Continental Infantry

 This is another part of my Jack Scruby collection. Jack Scruby was a pioneer in American wargaming. He organized the first wargaming convention in California in 1956. He also produced wargaming figures in multiple scales.

I first came across Scruby's miniatures in the early seventies. At the time, all we had for wargames were the Airfix plastic sets. We were largely unaware of the English manufacturers like Hinton Hunt, Miniature Figurines, Garrison and Lamming.

I purchased some Scruby's hoplites and they served for quite a while in one of my early armies. They disappeared when I sold off my collection in the late 1980's. 

Since returning to the hobby in 2014, I've sought out the old figures from the 1970s and 80s. Most I find on eBay, but for a time I could find Scruby's figures at historifigs.com. Although the website is still up it does not appear they are taking any orders.

This is one of my AWI units painted for Rebels and Patriots rules. They represent a Continental Regiment with half being clothed in the famous hunting shirts and the other half being issued one of the many varieties of period uniforms. This unit represents one of the Massachusetts Regiments that served in the Saratoga Campaign.

I like the classic toy soldier look to Scruby's and have gloss coated them to reflect the old style.






2 comments:

Jonathan Freitag said...

I have not seen these figures before. Are these 25mm? Is Historifigs gone for good?

Bruce Roeder said...

I have left 2-3 emails with them; one of which was an order and have not received a reply. The figures are under the 25mm label. The uniformed figure can be either American or British. I also used it for a unit of Hessian types (actually Brunswick). It's not a large line.They are compatible with the 25mm Musket Miniatures AWI line which to my knowledge has totally disappeared although I did find a small stash on eBay. I know of the guy who has the molds but he did not know what they were??? I offered to ID for him but he declined. He still sells the 22mm ACW though. All that to say, both Scruby and Musket Miniatures in 25mm and 22mm all have that classic look to them imo.